- CS 100: Introduction to Java Programming (Cornell University)
I have also had the pleasure of working with several talented students:
- James Bedell (Princeton University, '14)
- "Interactive Discovery in the Kepler Mission Dataset" (summer 2013)
- "Anomaly detection with DEMUD in image processing and with missing data" (summer 2014)
- Jillian Green (California State University, L.A., '10)
- "The Explosive Potential of Collaborative Machine Learner Networks" (summer 2009)
- Bryan He (Caltech, B.S. '15, now at Stanford)
- "Automated Image-Based Change Detection for Instrument Planning" (summer 2012)
- Michael Kocurek (Caltech, B.S. '07, now at Tower Research Capital)
- "The Optimization of Trained and Untrained Image Classification
Algorithms for Use on Large Spatial Datasets" (summer 2005)
- "Improving HARVIST: Using Progressive Trained Classifiers
and Multisource Regression to Predict Crop Yield" (summer 2006)
- Jake Lee (Columbia University, '19)
- "Detecting and Explaining Unexpected Image Content" (summer 2017)
- Julian Panetta (Caltech, B.S. '10, now at NYU)
- "Using Image Processing and Machine Learning to Detect and Classify Mars Surface Features" (summer 2008)
- "Detecting Mars Surface Change Using Landmark Comparison" (summer 2009)
- Alex Roper (Caltech, B.S. '09, now at Univ. of Michigan)
- "Using Machine Learning to Predict Crop Yield from Multispectral
Satellite Images" (summer 2007)
- Colorado Reed (University of Iowa, B.S. '12, now CTO of DotDashPay)
- Henry Shu (Caltech, B.S. '05, now at CMU)
- "Clustering with Nonuniform Feature Space Dimensionality" (summer 2004)
- Scott Sosnowski (Case Western Reserve University, '10)
- Matthew Wu (Caltech, '19)
- "Generalizing an Automated Detection Pipeline for Possible Indicators of Subsurface Water on Mars" (summer 2017)
- Brian Bue
(Rice University, Ph.D. '13; now at JPL)
- I served as Brian's GSRP Fellowship mentor, 2007-2010, and on his dissertation committee 2010-2013.
- Dissertation: "Adaptive Similarity Measures for Material Identification in Hyperspectral Imagery"
Gary Doran (Case Western Reserve University, Ph.D. '14; now at JPL)
- I served on Gary's dissertation committee 2012-2014.
- Dissertation: "Multiple-Instance Learning from Distributions"
- During a JPL internship in 2012, Gary investigated the use of
unsupervised analysis and active learning to assess sources of radio
frequency interference in data collected by large radio telescopes.
- Thamme Gowda
(University of Southern California, M.S. '17; now at USC ISI)
- During a JPL internship from 2016 to 2017, Thamme contributed many
innovations and advances to the Mars Target Encyclopedia project
and deep learning for planetary image classification.
- Amit Jain (California State University, L.A., M.S. '09)
- I served as an external advisor for Amit's Master's thesis work on
evaluating collaborative recommendation systems, 2008-2009.
- Umaa Rebbapragada
(Tufts University, Ph.D. '10; now at JPL)
- I served as a member of Umaa's dissertation committee, 2009-2010.
- Dissertation: "Strategic targeting of outliers for expert review"
- During a JPL internship in 2008, Umaa developed methods for
collaborative learning in sensor networks.
- Qianjun Xu (University of Maryland, Baltimore County, Ph.D. '06)
- I served as a member of Qianjun's dissertation committee, 2004-2006.
- Dissertation: "Active Querying for Semi-supervised Clustering"